I think I may have a new favorite lunch spot near my work. Me and half the town based on the line of people waiting for a table. This cafe has genuine small town charm and friendliness, with just amazing food. The menu changes daily, and the breads and desserts are made on premises. When I asked for a cup of coffee they said "medium or dark roast?"
The waitress recommended the special, chicken pot pie - so I had that, while my friend had the open-faced egg salad sandwich made with farm fresh eggs (from down the street). My pot pie had the biggest, most tender pieces of breast meat in it....I mean, it was almost ridiculous, I had to take pieces out and put them on my plate to cut them up, not that I am complaining! The gravy was so savory and rich, but not too heavy on the cream, and it was also brimming with veg, lots of sweet red peppers that balanced the savory/saltiness of the gravy. The crust was pie style, not commercial puff pastry like what they used at VI.
The salad is also worth a mention, fresh greens with slivered almonds, just a touch of goat cheese, and dried cranberries in a light vinegrette. Normally I don't do dessert, not with lunch, but I saw a homemade pie on the way in that I knew I had to try, and my friend had one of their fresh baked oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
The pie was a dark chocolate cream, thicker than regular "pudding" type pies, with great fresh whipped cream on top. My friends cookie was rich, chewy, with a strong vanilla flavor. Okay, probably the best cookie I have had in a very long time. The pie was also fantastic, but so rich I could only eat about 4 bites and took the rest home (my husband and I split it after dinner later on). Next time, I might go in just for pie and coffee, but probably wouldn't order dessert again after a meal. I noticed many people ordering the cookies to take home.
The tab for two sandwiches with side salads, two cups of coffee, and two desserts, with a generous Christmas-time tip was $32, which makes this place a bargain when you consider that everything is farm fresh and made from scratch. I am taking my husband there to try it out himself some time next week, and I am looking forward to going back myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment