Renata's Creperie is right off the plaza, and always crowded. I hadn't given it much thought but then had two friends recommend it so it made its way onto the list for 'The Project.' We arrived at 10:50 and waited 10 minutes to be seated. The staff was friendly without being overly chatty, which I appreciate. The ambiance is artistic/funky with original artwork, murals and mobiles, and the female waitress favoring vintage-style dresses.
I ordered the Crepe Provencal with almonds and spinach instead of ham. The other ingredients were jack, chevre, sundried tomatoes and basil.
Geoff ordered the Crepe Del Sol, which was a scrambled egg, jack, spinach, creme fraiche and spring onions.
I had Earl Grey, and he ordered Chai to drink. The tea was tea....but the chai was fantastic, he almost didn't get it back after I had a taste.
I normally don't like chai because it is always so sweet, but this was not very sweet - mostly spicy. The honey in the picture was for my tea, not the chai. The drinks came in five minutes, and only another 15 for the food, which is a testament to the efficiency of the kitchen because the restaurant was full.
The food was perfectly prepared. The crepes were buckwheat, and best I had since actually being in France. Definitely better than the crepe place I go to in Portland. The almonds were the best part of the Provencal crepe, I never would have thought to add them, but the crunch was perfect with the soft chevre, the slightly gooey jack, and the sweetness of the tomatoes. The Del Sol was one of the few times that a big serving of creme fraiche actually works, especially topped with the slivers of the best part of a fresh spring onion. We were both afraid that the food would be too rich, but it was not because the flavors and textures were so well balanced.
I am impressed, and am batting a thousand here - both places were excellent and worth a return visit. I bet Renata's sees us back at least once a month.
Cost per person, including drinks: $12




No comments:
Post a Comment